St. Ciaran’s National School is a rural school situated in the village of Baylin about 5km east of Athlone.
We are a mixed school with an enrolment of 160 pupils.
There are six mainstream teachers, a learning support teacher, resource teacher and two special needs assistants in our school. Mr. Pat Canty is the school principal.
The school was originally located a mile nearer Athlone, in Lower Warren.
In 1949 the original building was erected and an extension was added in 1994. More recently during 2013, we had the addition of three large state of the art classrooms to the school.
The catchment area for our school stretches from Moydrum, near Athlone, to the west, Glynwood to the south and Coolvuck and Walderstown to the north as well as the immediate area around our school. These areas have seen a large increase in housing over the past 20 years contributing to the steady increase in the number of pupils attending our school in that time.
The school crest features a boy and girl standing under a high cross known as “Twyford Cross” or sometimes “Baylin Cross”. This cross is situated on a hill within viewing distance of our school. It was sculpted in Clonmacnoise in the 8th century and brought to Baylin to comemorate the fact that St. Ciaran, whom our school is named after, lived in the local area before moving to Clonmacnoise to found his famous monastery there.
“Knowledge and Respect”
Purple and Yellow